Wednesday, July 11, 2007

What's in My Purse?

I reached into my purse and pulled out my wallet. It instantly reminded me of Christmas. Why Christmas? Well, since Stefanie has been old enough to go shop with her dad, they take a special day during Christmas to shop for me. Although getting what they shop for is cool because I really like presents, the best part for me is the relationship they have developed. They like doing things together. I love it because Tracy has never been the kind of dad who says I don't want to do "girl" stuff. He is interested in what Stefanie is interested in. He'll go through the malls at Christmas struggling through the crowds with her. He takes his time and doesn't grouse when she tries on another pair of shoes. She hardly has any shoes; bless her heart. Not only does he do "girl" stuff, he has guided her interests in more traditionally male activities too. Not many other girls get to kill their first deer and get the ceremonial blood wiped on her face because it was her first kill. I don't understand that, but it is a bond that can't be broken between them. I don't think her interest is killing particularly, but the self-confidence she developed by completing an arduous task, guided by her father is invaluable. She is a strong woman because of the guidance she has always received from her dad.
So, through the action of pulling out my Brighton wallet, I went all the way through Stef's childhood to adulthood in 10 minutes with her great dad.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Wow! What a loving relationship. I love the description of going through the mall. The talk about the deer hunting was such a poignant juxtaposition to the "girly" activiities.

I hope to hear more.