Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Inside Out Chapters 6-7

Chapter six refers to voice. The AP graders indicate the long to hear a student's authentic voice as they read through the myriad of papers they read from students around the country each summer. I have taught minilessons on voice from a book I have entitled Voice Lessons. I find the activities in that book good bell ringers. Chapter 6 from Inside Out also offers concrete examples of methods to improve a student's voice in their writing. Some suggestions focus on hearing all the voices and different exercises for tuning your voice.
Chapter seven refers to gaining a sense of audience. One thing that I have thought of before but I never really worried about was who my students write for - me. I want them to write for a variety of audiences. And I want them to write with confidence.

Good "hands on" advice from this book will assist me in my teaching practice.

1 comment:

Janelle said...

You mention a book entitled "Voice Lessons". Could you share some specific strategies that might enable us to enrich our own teaching repertoires?